Tuesday, December 06, 2005

I Felt Held...Thank You

This past Saturday I had my interview with the Ministerial Fellowship Committee of the UUA. What a wonderful, compassionate and knowledgeable group of people - UU ministers, lay leaders, counselors, and people committed to Unitarian Universalism. They are offering a true "ministry of presence" in their work with candidates. I felt held in their presence during my interview, and held by my larger community of friends, colleagues and family. Thank you to everyone for your prayers and thoughts, wishes and energy. I am now in preliminary fellowship and feel blessed to be a religious leader in this denomination. Thank you. If you are curious, some questions I was asked to speak to included: what do I believe happens when we die; how would I handle a difficult person; what is the foundational document that US polity is based on, how do I see systematic racism playing out in our congregations; and a range of other questions. I had a really enjoyable interview - we laughed together and I felt like I was able to be myself and reveal my presence as a minister.
"Breathing in, I know I am here, Breathing out, I know I am home. I am here. I am home." thich nhat hanh

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations. You have an exciting ministerial career ahead of you.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Rev. Telos Whitfield said...

thank you, David!
I was just wondering which David you are in my life...
(send me your last name)

Best,
Telos

1:51 PM  
Blogger Robin Edgar said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Robin Edgar said...

If at first you don't succeed.

Try, try again. . .

I felt betrayed. . . Un-ministered to. And still do.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Rev. Telos Whitfield said...

I'm sorry that you had such a negative experience with some individuals...And I hope there's a way you can heal, forgive, forget or move on from this resentment at UUism in general. There are a lot of caring, good and compassionate people out there doing good work and a few people who have some problems. May we all be reminded of the bigger picture...

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great that you had such a positive experience. Sounds like you were well prepared and you had a good encounter with the MFC. I agree with you that their heart is in the right place; they try hard. Welcome home.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!
I'm glad you hear your news, Telos! I will be looking over more of your thoughtful posts... thank you....
Janis from SKSM

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home