Friday, May 08, 2009

oh, how the world still dearly loves a cage...

Maude (Ruth Gordon) in the amazing movie Harold and Maude says a few things worth quoting and one of them is to say something like the "zoos are crowded, prisons are overflowing, oh how the world still dearly loves a cage." And she says it in such a way that you can feel her frustration, her realization that people cannot let it go. They cannot embrace true freedom. they still need to keep themselves and each other captive. Let us all, this day decide that Yes, it is time to embrace our freedom and by doing so, allow others to be free. Because in essence...to quote Marge Piercy:
"We seek not rest but transformation. We are dancing through each other as doorways."

blessings, Telos

1 Comments:

Anonymous Amy K said...

I was shown a quote today:
“I was most happy when pen and paper were taken from me and I was forbidden from doing anything. I had no anxiety about doing nothing by my own fault, my conscience was clear, and I was happy. This was when I was in prison.” Daniil Kharms

It made me think of Maude. Will we ever be able to live our lives without trapping ourselves in some way? We seem not to be comfortable unless we have someone or something confining us.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home